Rosacea is a common condition characterized by flushing and redness in the central face.
- As rosacea progresses, other symptoms may develop such as permanent redness, red bumps (some with pus), red gritty eyes, burning and stinging, small blood vessels visible near the surface of the skin and, in some men, a bulbous nose.
- Rosacea affects both men and women and occurs in all races, but most often in lighter-skinned individuals.
- Triggers that cause episodes of flushing and blushing play a part in the development of rosacea such as exposure to temperature extremes, strenuous exercise, heat from sunlight, severe sunburn, stress, cold wind, moving to a warm or hot environment from a cold one.
- There are also some foods and drinks that can trigger flushing, these include alcohol, foods high in histamine and spicy food.
There are four identified rosacea subtypes:
- Erythematotelangiectatic rosacea is characterized by permanent redness with a tendency to flush and blush easily, small blood vessels visible near the surface of the skin, and burning or itching sensations including sensitivity to many topical products.
- Papulopustular rosacea is characterized by permanent redness with red bumps and pustules, all lesions that are easily confused with acne.
- Phymatous rosacea is usually characterized by sebaceous gland enlargement on the nose.
- Ocular rosacea is characterized by red, dry and irritated eyes and eyelids, as well as foreign body sensations, itching
andburning of the eyes.
To Make An Appointment Call (425) 672-1333
Treatment For Rosacea
The treatment of rosacea is varied and depends upon the specific symptoms of each individual.
For more information visit the National Rosacea Society website at https://www.rosacea.org.
Meet Our Providers
Our providers continue to maintain the highest levels of accreditation and progressive ongoing education to learn and understand the latest developments in medical dermatology. Each provider's education and bio can be viewed below.
Scott Taylor, PA-C
Scott Taylor has been working in dermatology since 2011 with a special focus on surgical and general dermatology. He is particularly passionate about patient counseling in a wide variety of dermatological conditions from...